Ps 115 How often are our eyes focused inward and not upward? The psalmist begins by saying that it is not to us but to Lord we are to bring honor and praise. In fact, he goes beyond just saying it is the Lord but it is to the name of the Lord that we are to bring honor. Think about the name of the Lord and what comes to mind?
- Ex 15:3 He is a warrior and the Lord is His Name
- Psalm 68:4 the one who rides on the clouds, the Lord is His Name
- Ex 17:15 Moses built an altar and he called it “The Lord is my Banner”
- Gen 22:14 And Abraham called the name of that place “The Lord provides”
- Acts 4:12 there is no other name under heaven given among people by which we must be saved.
We revere and call upon His Name for the sake of His lovingkindness and faithfulness (which is new every morning). The world asks “where is God?”
This is not a new question but one that been asked since the Garden of Eden! They asked Jesus that question on the cross. They scoff and sneer but God is where God has always been—in heaven where the scoffers will never set foot. It is there that those who revere and fear Him will find their place of refuge. It is where He who holds the universe in the palm of His hand sits undisturbed, his throne unshaken, and his purposes unchanged.